On 25 March 1948, a meeting was held at the SEIFSA offices in Johannesburg to plan the formation of a “Southern African Section of the Plastics Institute of London”. A P Hadley was elected as the first chairman and the first AGM was on 29 November 1949. The Institute had 30 members at that stage, and the first lecture evening topic was ‘Versatile Vinyls’, followed by ‘PVC and its uses’.
Branches were opened in ‘Natal’ and the Western Cape during 1965, and a ‘Central Council’ was formed in 1966, known from 1967 as the National Executive Committee (NEC).
A ‘Rhodesian’ branch was formed in 1966 and, though this is no longer part of our Institute, is still active an part of the Institute of Materials (UK).
The Eastern Province branch, known as the Algoa branch, was started in 1966 in Port Elizabeth. During 1970, the Institute felt that South African autonomy and funding were vital and the Plastics Institute of Southern Africa (PISA) was formed. Existing members all became ‘Senior Members’ of PISA on 01 May 1971, a point of great pride to all concerned.
The Border Kei branch, based in East London, was formed during 1986.
PISA, with its four branches, now has around 1 000 members, with the Northern branch (includes any members from all the other provinces, as well as members from neighbouring South African countries and overseas) having over 300 members.